Help and Instructions
You and your friends have a very special profession: You are Fortune Tenners! But who is the best among you? Time to figure it out...
Playing the Game
There are 60 cards in the game:
- Numbers 1 - 13 with 4 different magic symbols (value according to their number)
- 4x Black Ribbon: Lower than any other card in the game
- 4x Gothic Knot: Higher than any other card in the game
In the first round, every player starts with one card. In every following round, each player will get one more card, until ultimately there are no cards left (the more players there are in the game, the less rounds will be played).
Each round has 2 phases:
- Every player makes a prediction on how many tricks they are going to win
- The cards are played and the amount of tricks per player in this round is counted
Rules for playing the cards
The player who starts can play any card. The players who follow have to play a card of the same symbol if they can (Black Ribbon and Gothic Knot are always possible). If they cannot match the symbol, they can play any card they want.
The player who wins the trick can then play the next card.
Who wins the trick?
The cards are valued in the following order:
- Gothic Knot: The highest card of all - can not be beaten
- Trump symbol: Cards with the symbol of the trump are valued higher than any other number (e.g. trump 1 is higher than any symbol other 13).
- First card symbol: Everytime in a round that the first card is played (the one other players have to match), this symbol is higher than the remaining symbols.
- Number card: If the played symbol does not match the first card and is not trump, it will never win the trick.
- Black Ribbon: Lower than any other card is the Black Ribbon.
To win a trick, you need to play a card which has a higher value than all the cards before and there must not be any higher valued cards following.
- If Black Ribbon is played as first card, the next symbol will decide which symbol the following players have to match
- If the first (relevant) card is the Gothic Knot, every player can play any card.
- If every player plays the Black Ribbon, the first player wins the trick (because nobody was higher).
- If there are several Gothic Knots, the first one will win the trick (because nobody was higher).
- If the Gothic Knot is trump, the player who dealt the cards can decide which symbol should be trump for this round.
- There is no trump in the last round and if Black Ribbon is the trump card.
After every round, your predictions are compared to your actual tricks. If your prediction has been correct, you will get 20 points and 10 points for every trick you won.
If your prediction was wrong, you will lose 10 points for every trick you are above or below your prediction.
For example, if you predicted 3 tricks and acutally got 3, you will receive 50 points (20 for the correct prediction and 10 for each trick). Whereas your opponent who predicted 2 and got 4 will lose 20 points (because the prediction was 2 tricks off).
Hosting a Game
Before you can start a game, one of your group has to host a game. To do so, in the Game Browser enter your name in the top and click the button Host Game.
Here you can define the following game settings:
- Fitting guesses: Indicates if last last player is allowed to guess an amount of tricks so that all guesses could theoretically be correct. If it is not allowed, there is at least one player who can not guess the right amount of tricks.
- First move: Decide if the first player in the list is the one to start the game, or if the player to kick of the game should be picked randomly
- First round: You can switch the first round from a regular one (like all the others) to a special event, where you do not see your own card, but the cards of all your opponents.
Below the settings you can see the players who have already joined the game lobby. Click on Become a player to make this player actively participate in the game.
In the list of active players you can use the buttons to make them become spectator again (remove from active player list), you can kick player (if you don't want them to participate) and switch position to arrange the players at the table in the desired order.
As soon as there are 3 to 6 players participating actively, you can click the button to start the game.
Joining a Game
If your friend has already created a game, after entering your name, click the Join button next to your friend's game in the overview.
As joining player, you can become a player or become spectator to switch your participation status.
After the game has started, the following areas are relevant for you:
- In the top left corner you can see the trump of the current round.
- Next to the trump, you see your opponents: The amount of tricks they won in this round / their prediction of this round as well as the card they have most recently played. The player on the left is succeeding you and the others are arranged by the order of turns (like a table).
- In the top right, by clicking on the 📋 icon, you can open and close the overview of predictions and tricks for the whole game including the current points.
- In the bottom left, you can see the information about yourself, just as you see your opponents in the top.
- Next to that, you can see the cards you are holding in your hand.
- On the bottom right is the area for actions. It will tell you when to wait for other players and what to do as soon as it is your turn. This could be playing a card, choosing a trump, dealing the cards or predicting the amount of tricks.